I imagine it depends massively on whether you consider the emissions that happened in the past to build the infrastructure that underpins the industry.
There are a few solid estimates for well to tank emissions. I did find some decent papers on it ages ago.
But then the yanks started refining using solar power which throws it all out of whack ![]()
I believe the phrase that you could aim at the deniers in red hats is “Payback’s a bitch”.
Just found out that one of my elderly neighbours died in her sleep Saturday/Sunday. One of the few remaining “original residents” who moved into the estate when it was newly built in the late 60s.
She had failed pretty badly recently and several of us have rescued her when she’d tottered up to Tesco and then bought way more than she could carry.
Nice way to go I guess.
About all anyone of us could ask for.
Someone is setting up in the bandstand opposite. In the summer it’s brass bands or the occasional pipe band. Whoever this lot are, there are collection buckets.
TIL of the concept of a “silent collection”, apparently popular with the Paisleyites.
Coming from a pretty secular background I assumed “no hymn” or similar. But no, it means “no coins, just notes”.
Cheeky twats ![]()
Imagine someone murdering carols with keyboards, an accordion and a bass drum. That’s them ![]()
These guys were more happy-clappy, but inappropriate boom, boom, boom bass drum guy may well have been moonlighting from another kind of band ![]()
Well who’d have seen that coming, it was always a threat. Sellafield, next it will be AA, tin foil at the ready.
Something else to hate yoof for ![]()
That Gary Numan is older than Gary Oldman.
Interesting that is.
Useful who-owns-what-and-where map, complete with links to Companies House accounts.
The thing I was most unaware of was “airspace ownership”. Freeholders have exclusive airspace ownership above their properties, usually to a height of 500’ - 1000’. What I didn’t know was that you can sell this while retaining all other rights of ownership. Makes sense in densely-developed cities with high property values - means (e.g.) you can add a few extra floors to utilitarian buildings and turn them into flats. But one that caught my eye is a bit different - it’s in Spalding and is a scabby urban bungalow who seem to have passed (sold/leased/given?) ownership of their airspace to a Hong Kong-based solar energy company. Perhaps a deal to make getting panels installed cheaper? Seems odd. Why would such a company want this? It’s a very low value property, in the wrong part of a not-very sought-after town - nobody would actually want a multistory development there. I’m guessing this is far from unique and there’s possibly many thousands of others around the UK, just not quite sure why things would be done this way.
I suspect it is to do with financing of solar panels from back in the day, just spotted the same in Southam.
That or some kind of tax-workaround by the company installing the panels?
While the government were being generous about 14 years ago, Gill had a job selling solar systems to people running factory units & warehouses. If the business didn’t want to pay for it they could often be persuaded to rent the roof to the solar company who’d install the panels & take the payments themselves.
I asked Alexa how to say “coffee bean 100” in Welsh.
So I’ve just learned that today.
Niece #2 is going to New York* with school (I think) in a couple of weeks.
Just had a
moment during the family Skype, been upstairs and found that there was a couple of hundred US greenbacks sitting in a drawer since about 2010 ![]()
That’s her sorted for incidentals anyway.
* super-aunt / SiL #2 took both of them to Madrid last weekend as well. Might as well face it I’m bloody jealous of their youth and all the opportunity of being ~20

