Show us your Baps

Inspired by the World Pasty championships currently happening at the Eden Project & in particular this woman’s video I decided to make some today.

She does seem to have made the schoolboy error of not putting a knob of butter on top of the filling before folding & crimping the pasty.

I have pastry dough chilling in the fridge & the filling prepped.

Proper bit o’ skirt.

7 Likes

That looks great. Lou makes them, but uses rib-eye.

1 Like

That one I had at yours was possibly the best I’ve had. Spectacular. :drooling_face:

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll let Lou know :smiley:

1 Like

Please do!

1 Like

Came out pretty well but am reminded that you really can’t put too much pepper in the mix :grinning:

15 Likes

I want to buy a mixer for dough. Presumably it will need to be pretty heavy duty to cope with bread making.

What do you recommend? Happy to buy new or second hand.

No messing…

Don’t know about new ones but the Kenwood A701 is pretty bombproof

1 Like

I’ve got a 7 year old Kenwood Major and it is not even close to the quality of my mother’s old Kenwood mixer which is probably nearing 40 years old.

1 Like

I’m sure, but I’m not spending £459 on a mixer :flushed:

That looks fine. What sort of ££ do you think they should go for?

I usually see them for about £40-50 at car boots / jumble sales.

2 Likes

I would say look out for an old Kenwood on eBay they do a very good job.
I bought one for 99P on eBay but that was because it was pick up only happened to be 15 miles away.

2 Likes

We have a KitchenAid, because Claire wanted one. It’s good, but I think I’d try the old Kenwood route if I were buying for myself.

That’s still a three-day trip for @pmac :rofl:

5 Likes

Our Kenwood is about 15 years old still doing Stirling service.

Had a kitchen aid while in the states, also very nice but some have plastic gears which I’d probably choose to avoid.

2 Likes

This, all I use, can manage about 1kg or so dough so two loaves at a time

And spares are easy …I’ve got a few good attachments like the mincer and sausage kit

1 Like

That’s good.

I will only be making one loaf at a time (Lou eats very little bread, so two would be wasteful) in which case, it should be working well within itself.

Don’t need loads of attachments, it will be primarily just used for dough, we have many other gadgets :grin:

1 Like

The flour I use comes in 1 Kg bags & that makes 2 loaves, one for now & one in the freezer to use later in the week. The Kenwood is quite happy doing a dough from a Kg of flour & the necessary water, butter salt & yeast. 10 minutes with the dough hook & job done.

Top tip, don’t try putting any of the attachments ie hook, K whisk or whisk in your dishwasher. Just wash them by hand. The dishwasher ruins them.

2 Likes

How do the frozen/defrosted loaves taste compared with the fresh ones?

We don’t have a dishwasher :wink:

1 Like