Show us your Baps

We went round for dinner at some friends yesterday & I did the Mary Berry Sticky Toffee pudding & sauce. That’s still a very easy & delicious thing to do & way better home made than any pub/restaurant version I’ve ever tried.

3 Likes

Oh man, that’s just the best.

As good as it gets!

1 Like

Just about to try one.

8 Likes

Back to basics today.

500g white boule (75% hydration)

17 Likes

Can anyone recommend some good quality strong bread flour, haven’t made any bread for ages so must get back to it.

I use this:
14g of protein per 100g. Does the job.

1 Like

I’ve used the following brands with very little difference in the results

51L4oSQ6ctL.AC

1 Like

Cheers, I will give the Marriages a go.

1 Like

It’s very good.

It arrived today, just need to get a starter on the go.

While you’'re waiting, have a go at Paul’s no Knead recipe.

Might just do that, no knead is how I mostly did my sourdough as well, as I’m lazy (and it works well)

1 Like

I’ve never been totally happy with the way my rolls have turned out so tried a different technique this time and they look promising.

They’re huge btw.

9 Likes

These look good.

I made some nice ones and thought they were a bit big so made more the next time, with the same amount of dough. They were not as good as had less of the nice soft middle bit.

Got some dough going now and trying to decide on making more of them or to do a loaf.

You might have swayed me.

1 Like

Well despite the rolls looking good they were slightly disappointing - quite edible but just something not right. Gonna have to come up with a new recipe altogether for my rolls.

So just a white batard today (75% hydration)

10 Likes

Another basque cheesecake for a friend’s pizza party. I’ll make one of these for the next Lopwell

11 Likes

I will eventually get a good batch of soft white rolls if it kills me.

As I said upthread, I haven’t been totally happy with my efforts to date so decided to try a completely new recipe.

I remembered making a milk loaf for my Dad when he was here last year (he doesn’t like crusty bread) and it turned out very soft and light so I decided to adapt that for the rolls (flour, yeast, salt, sugar, milk and butter)

6 Likes

Fully cooled now and happy to say I’ve got my soft white roll recipe sorted!

Soft, light and tasty, having a ham sarnie for supper right now!

5 Likes

Trying a new (made up) recipe for tomorrow. No particular reason, just an experiment really. It’s a mixture of spelt, wholemeal and white flour. Poolish (spelt only) is currently proving - overnight.

To quote the song - this could be heaven or this could be hell - either way, I’ll post the result tomorrow
:grimacing:

3 Likes

You usually turn out great bread.
I think the odds are in your favour.