Show us your Baps

Ah, but this is a real shot in the dark. I’m already regretting my earlier post…

:worried:

Do you have the recipe? I had a nice soft white roll when I was out the other day & thought it’d be good to make some.

Still waiting to see your take on the hot cross bun :grinning:

Yes, It wasn’t a published one so I’ll have to write it down. Give me a few minutes.

1 Like

Ok, I’ve copied my hand written scribbles into something that you have half a chance of understanding.

I made 8 with this recipe but they were huge, you may prefer to make 10-12 more normal size rolls. That’s what I’ll do next time.

500g flour

2 tsp salt

2 1/4 tsp yeast

330g milk (warm - I warmed mine gently in the microwave)

1 egg - beaten

60g room temp butter cut into pieces

2 tsp sugar

Thoroughly mix sugar & yeast into the warm (not hot!) milk and leave for 10 minutes or so until it froths slightly.

Mix the flour & salt together and make a well in the middle. Place the pieces of butter and the beaten egg in the well and pour the warm milk mixture over it.

Combine (I use a knife) together until it is roughly mixed and then with the dough hook attached knead for a good 10 minutes. You will know when it is ready as it will be coming off the sides of the bowl cleanly (or you can do the “windowpane” test)

Put in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with cling film and prove for 1 hour.

Knock it down (gently - don’t flatten it) on a floured surface and divide into 10 or 12 rolls Tuck the unfloured side underneath and “nip” together to put some tension into the top surface and place on kitchen paper on a baking sheet. Press lightly to spread them a little. Dust with flour and prove for 1 hour or until they’ve joined together and look to have doubled in size.

Transfer to bottom shelf in a pre-heated oven - 200c - for ~23 minutes (or when they look done and “tap” hollow)

1 Like

I did say I would post the result, regardless of how it turned out….

:flushed:

Not sure if I’m meant to eat it, or run away in case it eats me :grimacing:

To be fair, it is edible but that’s about the best I can say about it.

As it also looks like something you might expect to find in a field full of cows, I’ll not be rushing to try this again.

2 Likes

Be nice with some guacamole :+1:

Not sure that the birds around here have tried guacamole and after trying another piece, I’ve decided that they’ll be eating it.

2 Likes

Haha, fair enough.

Thought you were a bird lover :joy::joy:

Haven’t you got more bunnies to maim?

1 Like

Don’t blame me, twas the moggy wot dun it…

I bet you have that line on repeat every time Anne finds something broken?

1 Like

:wink:

2 Likes

Went back to my soft rolls recipe (the one a few posts above) today. No sugar this time and the yeast mixed into the dry flour at the start (only because I forgot to put the yeast in the milk and so left out the sugar which was only really there to kick start the fermentation) Otherwise it is the same recipe.

When I made 8 rolls from this mix they were huge so I divided it into 12 this time.

8 Likes

If anyone does fancy trying these I can recommend the amended version. Ditch the sugar and just put the yeast in the flour at the start.

Light, soft and tasty

7 Likes

Coffee and Pecan cake

Only one problem, it’s too frigging tall to fit in my cake tin :roll_eyes:

10 Likes

You will just have to eat it all then! :grinning:

2 Likes

I’ll be giving my neighbour some, too much for me to eat alone.

The car needs a decent run every now and again :grinning:

1 Like

That’s a bit defeatist.

4 Likes