Slippery slopes

Thing is though, if you buy an IO you are climbing onto the SUT ladder at the same time. The better the SUT, the better they sound. :sob:

Edit: beat me to it Kev! :grin:

1 Like

Indeed, I have a top end Cinemag SUT with decent gain so have a OK starting point. It manages well with .2mv output DV 17D2 on its lowest gain. I know we talking .05 or 0.15 for the AN UK IO or Kondo IO repetitively.

Anyway back new normal issues. Finchley Rd Waitrose queue which is 3/4 the way round the store.

Mind you if I get to spendy or new kit it’s good to know the Iceland queue is much shorter. :grinning:

Nothing that spunking £7k on a little box wouldn’t solve.

(I’m aware of the scope for filth in that sentence :face_with_monocle:).

4 Likes

Some OK deals on top end Art Audio Speakers also at the moment. Thoughts anyone.

Singing fridge ties in your speaker quest and Iceland future nicely

Which models?

Horns. Big ones.

1 Like

It sounds like you’re looking to spend a relatively large amount of money for you. If that’s the case, the choice shouldn’t be driven by the amount of discount, but by what you actually like. It looks like there are quite a few bargains out there, but they’re not cheap if you don’t like the sound after a few weeks.

2 Likes

Wise words, which is why original thoughts of IO or top of the LV ladder appealed.

The sound from the LVs does change as you move up the range, the RWs sound smoother to my ears. Some prefer the more lively sound of other models and obviously depends on partnering equipment.

LVs divide opinion, as do most bits of kit. Some like me have owned them for many years and find it hard to displace them.

If you like the LV sound I doubt if you would be disappointed.

1 Like

I bought an Io Gold with an ANS3 SUT. It all sounded great through the MM input on my Allnic phono stage. The problem was that the MC side of the Allnic bettered by the SUT. This was easy to sort with the purchase of an ANS6c SUT which does the job.

Moral of the story: ££££££

2 Likes

Moral of the story: ££££££
Yet another AA mission statement. :slight_smile:

Yeah I preferred my Auditorium IIs to my OBX-R2s. I could tell that the OBX-R2s were better, but I just didn’t enjoy them much. A bit too restrained for my liking.

1 Like

already decided they are too big for my room.

There is a set of Alnico 8s in a similar finish on the market for £4K. They are better speakers than the Prestige 8.3 even though they are two-way and will work in smaller spaces. I would think £4K is about par, but you should be able to get a pair for £3.5K if you are patitent/negotiate well. The Alnico 8.3 diamonds are not to my tast as I find the diamond tweeter too sharp.

I use Alnico 8 prestige with some hi-foo crossovers and cabling FWIW. They’ll work well in any half decent sized room and are unfussy about amps. (I’ve used a Gato DIA250 at 2015 Scalford, a monster SimAudio Moon pwr and Audio Research Ref 5 belonging to @68rednose at 2016 Scalford (the one just before the knifings-in-the-back), valves in the form of some lovely Rank Concept Monos, and a series of Pass Labs Amps in the form of @Jim’s old Alephs and now Pass XA100.5s.

4 Likes

Was that the year @Bolts and I opened a distillery in the room opposite? :tumbler_glass::wine_glass::cocktail::tropical_drink:

2 Likes

AHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!! :rofl: :joy: :rofl: :joy: :rofl: :joy: :rofl:

Good thing you don’t work in retail! :rofl:

[says man who found out the hard way]

3 Likes

All the cool kids have LV’s with external crossovers. Just get them. Or spend yer money on some of their fancy 300B’s.
I don’t quite get what people see in the Io mind. I much preferred that Transfig you had, or my Koetsu ( which is a very different sort of presentation).

1 Like

Suspect I will get LV’s but need to chat with Definitive tomorrow. I already have some TJ Music mesh 300b’s and the next step up is silly money especially for four.

The Transfiguration Temper is still part of my staple and still sounds great. It does rotate with a couple of Lyra’s and the DV 17d2 so hasn’t done as many hours as you might think.

Wave a large packet of cash and ask for a deal on 4 nice 300B’s and a pair of LV’s. And a couple of them nice biscuits they do. Can’t remember their name.
I have had some cracking deals from Definitive in the past.