SOYS: State Of Your System

It’s a choke and it’s done that way primarily for efficiency. In that version, with a pretty high current operating point, you need a lot of those expensive 2W resistors at £50 a pop vs doing it with the choke, plus the voltages are easier to arrange. Could be used a transformer as you suggest, but I don’t see any real advantage, and possibly a disadvantage in terms of bandwidth. You could also use a CCS.

With Kevin’s, (a) the resistors are cheaper and (b) I chose a different operating point, which gives a more characterful sound and, happily, allows the resistor dissipation to be reduced.

2 Likes

Doubt I can ever be arsed to replace this pair tbh

17 Likes

That pair would make me a very happy man.

1 Like

The built in phono is remarkably good in the pre. You get an mc4 sut , nearly an 88pb phono stage minus one input, a pre scaled down from the 912 - £2800?

Alright

Was happy with the transfig phoenix and hashimoto hm3 but the current phono with the Proteus … is better

41 posts were split to a new topic: Stylus cleaning and Onzow controversy

Rega Cursa pre back in the system now after repair at Rega for a very reasonable cost.
Tunes…

Baby Epos punching above their weight.

23 Likes

I’m sure it sounds great Rob but imagine how good it would be with 5 way horns :sunglasses:

4 Likes

That’s a lot of Rega !

2 Likes

Good to see Colin’s gear found a good home!
Enjoy it Rob.

3 Likes

There’s some thanks to @hoopsontoast too.
But yes, I wanted Colins TT, it was a stretch, but it’ll stay.

6 Likes

I have the Rega wall bracket for the P9 too when I get a minute, the CD player can go on top then.

1 Like

Never heard a pair of Epos speakers I didn’t like :ok_hand:

But then again These exist…

So glad the Rega kit went from one of Life’s Good Guys to another :star_struck:

16 Likes

Slowly getting there.

One more stand for the HD600
RME and G109-S on the tops shelf

2nd shelf currently has the Topping D10 doing SPDIF conversion from a HP Chromebook and SPDIF output, coax to Chord Mojo, Optical to RME (which also has USB input direct). Makes it easy to direcy and quick comparisons in my more geeky moments.

Chord mojo to the XDUOO MT-602 which has had Mullard tubes put in place of the stock tubes and using the Ifi Ipower PSU

Topping D50S not being used at the moment, same as the SABAJ PH3

Saving up for something else, just to have something to save up for but not sure where else I can/want to go with now - The Orbe, on the bottom shelf, really needs a service and an oil/belt change if I ever get the proper time to do it.

The Topping DX3 PRO + P50 now being used downstairs for when The wife is watching her stuff on TV.

6 Likes

Those R9s were special, had I know that a year or so later we would move to a larger house I’d have kept them!

2 Likes

Mojo2; Electric Boogaloo.

1 Like

Only ever heard them at shows - and still they sounded great.

One of a short list of speakers I could happily live with, and prolly the only ones that feature side-firing drivers :star_struck:

3 Likes

I think I might be the only person that has a cardboard jig for aligning their kit. I must be mental

Rong thred m8

2 Likes

Now I remember. Very, very nice!

Only change, possibly, would be the position of the radiator and the sockets :slightly_smiling_face: