SOYS: State Of Your System

Thought the resistor loading of the first stage was key to impedance matching?

They would have to be something special, (and cheap) I have tried a lot of speakers in my system and keep coming back to the LVs.
Maybe because of the synergy with the amps, which were designed with these speakers in mind

2 Likes

It is. But think about the impedance of a choke in parallel with a resistor.

So what your saying is horns, but insensitive ones?

:frowning:

Acapellas then.

I’m going to be needing a phono stage soon. Wasn’t there a requirement to add your address when posting to this thread?!

Lovely system to end up with :+1:

https://www.hifido.co.jp/21-33409-24755-00.html?LNG=E

2 Likes

DCR of choke at DC (yes, my electrical knowledge is that advance) and tending to R of resistor as f increases. Muppet here thought that the point of choke loading was to have a massively steep load line at audio frequencies.

Ah, unless the first stage has transformer loading with a primary load in parallel of the characteristic Z?

If only I had the merest inkling of what y’all whitering on about.
Thankfully I shall remain blissfully ignorant of such things until the time when the Good Lord Euromillions intervenes in my life

It’s a choke and it’s done that way primarily for efficiency. In that version, with a pretty high current operating point, you need a lot of those expensive 2W resistors at £50 a pop vs doing it with the choke, plus the voltages are easier to arrange. Could be used a transformer as you suggest, but I don’t see any real advantage, and possibly a disadvantage in terms of bandwidth. You could also use a CCS.

With Kevin’s, (a) the resistors are cheaper and (b) I chose a different operating point, which gives a more characterful sound and, happily, allows the resistor dissipation to be reduced.

2 Likes

Doubt I can ever be arsed to replace this pair tbh

17 Likes

That pair would make me a very happy man.

1 Like

The built in phono is remarkably good in the pre. You get an mc4 sut , nearly an 88pb phono stage minus one input, a pre scaled down from the 912 - £2800?

Alright

Was happy with the transfig phoenix and hashimoto hm3 but the current phono with the Proteus … is better

41 posts were split to a new topic: Stylus cleaning and Onzow controversy

Rega Cursa pre back in the system now after repair at Rega for a very reasonable cost.
Tunes…

Baby Epos punching above their weight.

23 Likes

I’m sure it sounds great Rob but imagine how good it would be with 5 way horns :sunglasses:

4 Likes

That’s a lot of Rega !

2 Likes

Good to see Colin’s gear found a good home!
Enjoy it Rob.

3 Likes