Tales from the Ginnel

Double plinth nearing completion

18 Likes

That American Cherry looks :heart_eyes:

Stonking wood :hugs::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

One day

I saw bog oak & thought of @BobC

This was covered in a short film on BBC news this lunch time. The table looks fantastic & I’d definitely try to see it if it makes its way to the SW on tour later in the year. 43 ft planks.

5 Likes

‘Bog Oak Bob’, has a nice ring to it.

7 Likes

You can go in all sorts of directions with that (not just dendrochronology).

1 Like

…And they are all fitting I’m sure

Love how they’ve shaped the planks to make the most of the available wood.

I can almost hear sawmillman bemoaning the ‘tooling costs’.

1 Like

Low and Adamson are the couple I bought my Bog Oak from. Nice to see this project come together.

3 Likes

That’s the underside complete. 4 Track Audio feet, couple of tone arm cable exit guides, part of the motor mount system and a lace wood cover for the through hole that will accommodate the Shindo bearing.

19 Likes

Time for a box to store the shoe care guff

7 Likes

Looks like nice wood, is that flamed maple?

Pretty much, rippled sycamore…

1 Like

A simple jig, makes the marking out of the dovetail pins easier with repeatable accuracy. A couple of pieces of teak, more joint with festool dominos and a fence added to one side. Fence is only a few mm in height as the workpiece needs to be clamped in the vice.

4 Likes

Fiddly little blighters.

And then into the jig to mark through the pins.

9 Likes

A good fit, will clear out the bottom of the pins and ease them a smidge. 3 more sets to go. Very therapeutic.

12 Likes

That will cramp up nicely,

13 Likes

Using a holdfast and a guide to keep the chosen vertical when cutting between the pins. Once done I then use a 3mm chisel just to remove a scrape horizontally in the middle between the pins to acheive a tight fit on the face.

5 Likes