The Allotment has nearly had a clean shave

Sadly no. The sward here is kept in shape on hands and knees with nail scissors.

Only joking. The grass+moss+dandelions+selection of other lawn weeds are scalped from time to time with a bog-standard electric rotary. Pretty it ain’t.

VB

1 Like

Veg update San Marzano Tomatoes are looking OK and first proper try at some spuds.

8 Likes

Just ordered some lovely grapevines to start putting on the arbour

1 Like

What variety are the spuds. We always grow Aran Pilot as first earlies, lovely but soon go over.

That must be some seriously tough pubic hair she has :rofl:

The top ones are Home guard earlies - The bottom half ones are Wilja picked early because the tops were dying. We also have Charlotte and King Edward. We got excited and overbought on spuds.
We have over 350 planted which because of space I had to plant quite close together.
How are your sweetcorn mine seem to be going OK at 3-4 foot but I have never grown them before?

3 Likes

I think I remember that Charlotte should be left in longer than other earies as it is a salad potato. Is that right? We have about 40 of them in at the moment. .

My sweetcorn are only about 18" so you are doing well. I found sweetcorn seeds really difficult to germinate - only about half the seeds worked, maybe less.

This hot weather is giving everything a hard time.

1 Like

Our sweetcorn was better than 90% successful grown in the windowsill.

I am no expert sorry so cannot comment regarding the pull time for charlotte.
Yes it’s a bit hot ATM.

Our sweetcorn is way behind. I think we have Charlotte this year, think these are second earlies so will come after the Aran Pilot. We only started pulling spuds this week but looking at them we could have stared a week or two ago.

I walked along the edge of a field full of it yesterday. I’d guess it was 40-60cm above ground. I think they quite often grow the cattle fodder variety down here though, rather than stuff meant for humans. The ground is baked dry and starting to crack (not good).

VB

Think we overplanted the raised beds last year as they’ve gone a bit nuts this summer.

5 Likes

Nasturtiums are a bit like buddleia.

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Runner beans in full flow

6 Likes

Buy once,buy plastic

6 Likes

Dug some of our spuds yesterday, v.:face_with_raised_eyebrow:disappointing, four plants lifted to get enough for a meal for 2, mostly the size of marbles

Any idea what that would be down to?

Nein

Hyperbole - but difficult to get rid of. Fast growing. Once you’ve got them you’ve got tbem

A shit gardener :wink: