The Milk Float Thread

I’m interested in the Polestar 2 but have to go to Bristol or MK to test drive.

1 Like

There is now also a place in Solihull. Not hugely different for you, but…

When my brother was looking at them they dropped a car off to his office and he had it on test for 3 days.

2 Likes

What did you drink on the way back?

Stella in the afternoon, obviously :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

Yeah I looked into that but we are too far away from any of the dealers, so it said no.

Just got back from back to back with the i40 (40 M-Sport) and the Ioniq 5 (72kw/2wd), we still have the EV6 tomorrow.

I gave Viv all the specs beforehand but that was it, and let her drive first/first impressions so that I did not sway her with any comments. Short answer, we came out both much preferring the BMW. I guess to be expected, its the next level up but just seemed better in pretty much all the areas that matter to us.

Both were Single Motor/2wd but the i4 a lot quicker (to be expected given the specs), if we were buying we would go for the AWD Ioniq5/EV6 model anyway I think. The i4 felt nicer inside despite being smaller (based off the 4-Series) and we both really liked the iDrive system so not everything has to be done via the touchscreen. We both did not like the Hyundai system as much, seemed less intuitive but then we are used to iDrive (even the old V1 we have) so that might be why.

Cabin room, the Ioniq5 is much better, especially in the rear with the adjustable position and recline seats as standard (and flat floor) but we do very rarely have adults in the rear, and this car is only for the next 2-3 years for the period of the lease. Boot space felt pretty much the same between the two, the i4 looked more usable space although the Ioniq5 had the ‘frunk’ for storing the cables which we liked.

To drive though, the Ioniq5 felt like a big car, even in sport mode with the heavier steering it still feels like a big car, and being taller anyway, felt more like a van as if you are sitting on it, rather than in. The i4, no supprise just felt like my E90 330i, and did not in our route, feel any real world larger or heavier, despite being at least 5-600kg more. Nice and dynamic, really good 1-pedal driving in the ‘B’ mode and more than quick enough for real world use, I can’t think why you would really need the i4 M50.

One feature I did not think I would like as much as I did was the Heads-up-display, really really good on the i4, and customisable. The Ioniq5 has it as an option but not on the demonstrator.

Big thing Viv did not like, the Hyundai colour range is pants, just various shades of grey. At least you can option Blue/Green/Red/Orange on the BMW.

Next big thing is BMW said they would expect delivery in ~6-months, around late Jan/early Feb. From Hyundai, they said at least between 9-12 months.

I did not think Viv would like the i4 as much as she did, she does not mind driving the 330i but prefers her more upright Mazda2. Turns out its the heavy steering on my 330i, and of course, its adjustable on the i4 with the Comfort/Sport settings which is perfect. I made sure I did not big up the i4 at all but walking out the dealership, I think Viv has already made her decision, even before seeing the EV6 tomorrow!

9 Likes

I really miss not having that on the MG5. My last Mazda 6 had it and it was something that was really useful.

3 Likes

Yes agreed - HUD is brill, not had it before, but now I do, I wouldn’t want to be without it. I seldom look down at the instrument panel.

3 Likes

Should be standard as it’s safety feature

5 Likes

We had the 3rd test drive, the EV6, on Sunday. It was the 77kWh/Single Motor version so essentially the same as the Ioniq5, but the top spec GT-Line-S which had all the toys, included was the Heads-Up-Display, Cooled Seats (I really liked this feature) and Heat Pump option. It had the reclining rear seats which was nice but not movable like the Ioniq5.
Still not too keen on the control OS, and the touch-sensitive buttons below that swap between Heating & Audio/Media looks good but in practice always seemed to require a button press to switch (looking away from the road) then another to actually find the button you want to press anyway. The iDrive was much much better in this regard.

Overall we liked it, especially compared to the Ioniq5, did not think there would be quite so much difference. Just somehow felt more agile and not as cumbersome, considering they are pretty much the same size/weight I guess this is just down to the more upright stance and taller body.

Its now a shoot out between the i4 and EV6, we have booked a second test drive, back to back next Saturday. I think we would certainly spec the 77kWh/Dual Motor version on the EV6.

After chatting to the Kia dealer, they say the same 1-year lead time and also I think I saw mentioned up thread, they have removed any price guarantee, so if the price goes up before delivery, tough shit. Current price increase from July to today has been ~£4k…

Both swinging back towards the BMW i4 at this point…

5 Likes

I’ve gone for the GT line rwd . Which gets most of the nice features and range. TBF I didn’t have a huge choice but nonetheless I was more than impressed.
Hopefully get it in June next year. It’s a work motor so that cost may end up cancelling it ?

3 Likes

Oh well, some things never change. I am scouring N.Yorks for a working charger :rage:

Good luck.

Thanks G, I’ve found one, well 2 actually but of course only one working :rage:

3 Likes

We drove to Gatwick in the DT, didn’t need to charge to complete the round trip, but decided to stop at Cobham services on the m25 for a quick top up to make the journey home totally stress free.

The bank of 8, high power, ionity charges weren’t working, the 4 of us there all on the phone to their support number.
App and website wouldnt communicate with the chargers. Contactless wasnt enabled.
Gave up after tye 3rd attempt (got home with 11% so fine anyway)

Total shower of shit.

1 Like

You should be back at the barn inhaling a huge meatman brekkie, never mind messing about with trivialities like car charging :smirk:

I’m fasting Jim :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Once again, the only feasible charger in the vicinity of @crimsondonkey’s part of the world is the SVR at Kidderminster at a steam gala.

Or Morrisons
Or Burger King
Or Tesco’s
Or Co-op
Or M&S

Were they all out of order?