The Mince Pie Thread

Was very good, I would just question the alcohol content. I think perhaps I would prefer a smidge/whiff of port or something. Best so far tho’ and by quite a long way.

Last one of the batch for lunch

With a petticoat of clotted cream

6 Likes

Went to my most local café today. They do fantastic coffee, great flat white.

But they don’t do mince pies, so they can have a fucking cockpunch. And the bakewell was dry, had too little jam and was overpriced.

Shootout.

Dem’s nice pies.

Greggs tomorrow morning to judge their mincemeaty festive comestibles.

1 Like

2 Likes

Took some of these round to @stu last night. Warmed them in the oven & they were pretty good if not a patch on @Stepmotheratomicbomb 's home made efforts.

Any of these shop bought ones seem to be only half baked & should be finished in an oven otherwise you’re basically eating dough (which is how many of them taste ie raw)

3 Likes

Quite an adult pie from Pret. Dryish, not over sweet and with nuts and plenty of apple/citrus peel. I like but at £1.36 each they should be good and these are going for a bit more of a luxury thing. I’m not sure I really want that. I guess I want less fancy and more ‘right’. Yesterday’s were damn near perfect and are going to hard to beat honestly.

How much are they Guy?

How is it that somehow The fashion is for un-cooked pies? It’s like the ‘tomatoes like bullets’ thing! Maybe they are cooked short so people can heat them up? Whatever, it is definitely a thing.

I’m sure that’s the reason. If they were sold fully baked, they’d be spoiled if people then re-heated them further.

They are £1.79 per pack of 6

Oh I went to Waitrose cafe yesterday because of reasons, and had a frangipane mince pie.

New photo by Adam Slim

I almost didn’t bother mentioning it because it just wasn’t any good. It was misconceived, dry and had too much pastry and too little mince. I have no idea what the intention of the frangipane was except maybe to make it seem more posh. Rather than do simple things well, why not complicate and divert?

Didn’t they have an ordinary unponcified pie?

Best one’s i’ve had so far,shop bought ones that is.

This vexes me - most people would zap 'em for 15 seconds in the microwave f they want them warm, not burn a rainforest heating-up the oven (unless you’ve got a p.o.s. Aga…:poop: ).

Suspect it has more to do with manufacturers saving money on cooking times/temps - I’ll ask Sam when she gets home, pretty much her industry.

2 Likes

Fuck, another blow out. Charlie’s is a great tiny café, serving about the best coffee in town. Mince pies due later today. Had to have pecan :unamused:

4 Likes

Looks like a fanny on top of beans on toast.

16 Likes

:joy: lol!

That looks horrible

Looks more like the beans we had at the Craft and Cleaver on Sat.

It was actually really good - nice burst of sweetness from the maple syrup, perfect pastry. But it wasn’t a mince pie.