The Reading Room

Some of the covers for the sci-fi paperbacks are tremendous - I used to have a great collection of them but had to sell them after my divorce. :disappointed:

This is a treasure trove of stuff

http://thevaultoftheatomicspaceage.tumblr.com/

Have just read this for the second time. A wonderfully written account of travels in Afghanistan

Chris @vacdac buy it before it’s out of print again.

1 Like

It’s also available as a Kindle book, which suits me better.

It’s a brilliant book - much more than just a history of the free jazz movement. There is a particular bit in the Sun Ra chapter where you just want to be transported back to it.

1 Like

I now need all the Impulse albums on vinyl :grinning:

1 Like

Covenant with Death by John Harris.
Novel about the First World War based on stories from survivors. It follows a group in the Sheffield pals. The novel was in turn the inspiration for the song The Rose of York.

1 Like

This looks interesting

Finished reading it. Powerful tale, matches with “They shall not grow old”. Well worth a read.
https://hitchensblog.mailonsunday.co.uk/2012/11/covenant-with-death.html
(apologies for citing the Heil)

Translated from German, and originally written as a history book for children, it is proving an entertaining lunchtime read at work.

Not heard of that- looks like it would be a good one for my sons birthday in a weeks time!

The best £10 you’ll spend on anything ever again

3 Likes

That’s my Christmas sorted and have already used some of them today in work :+1:

2 Likes

2 Likes

Enjoying this one more than Perdido St. Station @coco

2 Likes

I read that last year, really enjoyed it, bought Iron Council the other New Crobuzon book at the same time but for some reason haven’t started it yet

I found the first one a bit of chore, but this one’s more engaging.

I read that around the same time as I read the Kraftwerk biography (Publikation?). Excellent book.

1 Like

Xmas present. All 900 18th century pages. Fortunately I got this too

which might just get me out of trouble.

VB

Iron Council is hard going, I nearly gave up. Definitely not his best.