The Reading Room

Fire away. That is an ecumenical matter. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

After finding out about Marina Amaral’s work on Twitter I decided to buy the book.

However; before I even opened the book, I noticed a lovely design touch with the dustcover - high gloss paper with matt typesetting :heart_eyes:

1 Like

The Folio Society’s lovely illustrated version

1 Like

Anyone read this?

Just pre-ordered this on the Kindle, £2.63.

Out next week.

1 Like

Brutal, shocking, inspirational…

I heard him on Desert Island Discs a while back, he’s simply an amazing person. And not afraid to discuss his mental health issues that were probably both cause and consequence of his work.

1 Like

How anyone copes with seeing the things he has seen and with what man can do to other men, women & children, I dont know.
Its a grim read, but what he does, the legacy he leaves behind and the Trust he & his wife have set up is inspirational.

This just arrived

Bought mainly for the Talk Talk sessions but looks a good read overall.

1 Like

It is an excellent read. I finished it last week. My only criticism would be that it is short on technical detail and long on personal interactions. The former is a weakness but the latter is the strength of the book.

1 Like

If you’ve ever watched the Montreal episode of Anthony Bourdain’s travel series, you’ll have encountered the authors of this one.

I bet a lot of that has been updated since I read the original version with the silver cover.

I remember getting through the first two chapters thinking, “yeah, this is OK.”, then it seemed like 40 odd pages had been ripped out of my copy. :smile:

The rest gave me a terrible headache and sense of inadequacy.

1 Like

You just look at pictures of black holes and masturbate don’t you?

You clearly have access to my browsing history.:wink:

Just experience of living on me own. Most things are a good reason for a wank.
Not really allowed to do it as much as I would like now. Sometimes I miss being a wanker.

Don’t worry Mark, you’ll always be a massive wanker as far as we are all concerned.:stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes