Today I have mainly been V2.0

Used to know a James bond collector who was always in debt but incredible collection of stuff probably worth a bomb

here

7 Likes

Both QFs?

yes all day- couldn’t get tickets for tomorrow

2 Likes

Wow, fab.

Making our way across to here

where we’re spending a long and quiet-ish weekend away. It’s what’s left of a 19th century prison (technically a House Of Correction - as it says in bloody great letters over the gate) built on the site of a Norman castle just outside Folkingham in Lincolnshire. Details here. It’s cosy now, but would have been tougher once.

VB

Hmm, House of Correction for the weekend eh?

2 Likes

It’s way too chilly to be dressing like that !

VB

1 Like

Enjoying a bad bad bad wood burning stove.

4 Likes

Looks like your amp’s on fire??

2 Likes

No, the valves are just a little warm. :joy:

Surprised no comments about the speaker interconnects and the boxes of foo.

Make the most of it !! Before they all get banned!

Only new installations apparently, which means a thriving market for the used ones.

I think they’re only talking about banning the inefficient ones anyway. The cleaner ones (DEFRA approved) are going to be ok AFAIK.

Hard to see them being banned up here, they’re the primary source of heating in most properties outside of Lerwick (no gas either)

Won’t it only be the sale of new ones of certain models that is banned?

There is a supposed link between wood smoke and leukaemia.

That’s pretty much what I said

No idea about that, but they link anything with anything and come up with something, so I wouldn’t be surprised.

Hard to see there being much need for it. Given the average wind speed where you are I don’t imagine anyone local is going to be troubled by the particles for more than a few nanoseconds, and by the time they arrive at Norway, or wherever the next stop is, they’ll have been spread out into several hundred cubic miles of the troposphere.

VB

1 Like

In St Albans there is often quite a strong smell of wood smoke, presumably from the current fashion of in-home wood burners. I do think that they are lovely to behold, but air pollution in built-up areas is not acceptable when it’s a trend, rather than a warmth requirement.

2 Likes

I agree. What happened to smokeless zones, do they still exist? I remember when we were in Hartlepool it was introduced (early 70’s?) and we had to get a gas fire installed. You could burn coke, but it was more expensive.

I realise you can burn wood in a smokeless zone, but it has to be dry seasoned wood and then only in a DEFRA approved appliance. I suspect many flout this and enforcement is probably low, or non existent.