Today I have mainly been V2.0

spectator sport on AoS trying to organise a bake-off, bitchy or what!

1 Like

H&S course “H&S for Line Managers” this afternoon

The only time I ever reported a H&S thing (monitor and PC wired into the same plug by the facilities comedians) my manager did his best to bury it.

Things may have changed since I used to go on these, but back then they banged on endlessly about S and said little, if anything at all, about H. See if you can get the course leader to tell you something practically useful about stress, or the issues around sedentary working, or whether people’s sleep is being disrupted by the day job, or whether it’s making them drink/smoke/eat too much and not see enough of their kids.

VB

Visiting elderly rels in Devon and painting in Devon too , very old property but it’s fun

Years ago I used to car share with the company H&S manager if we were both in the office.
I thought he had the easiest job in the world running audits and telling people what to do all day.

Then there was an accident on one of our sites and a 17 year old apprentice died.

The H&S manager was the man who had to go and see his parents and tell them why their son didn’t come home from work.

6 Likes

I once had a sixty-something technician fall backwards as he was climbing onto the roof of a piece of kit I was responsible for. On his way down he hit the back of his head on a steel dustbin and was knocked out. The loose steel plate roof cover fell onto him, stabbing him in the groin (strictly leg) so he needed a dozen stitches. Thank heavens someone in the next lab heard the crash, went to see him and called the ambulance. I wasn’t in his line-management chain, but all the same I was seriously scared for him. Fortunately after a couple of nights in hospital he was allowed home and made a full recovery.

Any significant accident is one accident too many.

VB

3 Likes

I got a nasty paper cut earlier.

2 Likes

Ouch, they sting, my sympathies.

1 Like

Whenever people mention H&S I think about Douglas Adams and the telephone sanitisers. You do actually need the middle third.

Which one?

Someone once recorded one of those in the accident book where I used to work. She wasn’t joking either (well, she thought she wasn’t).

VB

Orlando

Yes isn’t it the h&s man in the dock for Hillsborough? People are incredibly careless about safety, I could write a book about the builders from Afghanistan here. Zero ppe, chopped the trees with no helmets , no eye protection . Their scaffolding is metal trelis thingie on breeze blocks. In one way its good we are so conscious in uk of h&s even though its a pain sometimes.

There’s a big difference between hurting third parties and hurting staff at work. It was made crystal clear to us that in the case of staff it’s impossible for line managers to delegate their H&S responsibilities. The HSE will put the line manager in the dock, potentially alongside the most senior manager in the organisation, and anyone in between who they might feel needs to be held to account.

VB

Yesterday :grin:

2 Likes

Haha no way. I’m at Islands of Adventure right now. We are staying in a flea pit near International drive

I’m staying with my parents who live in Auburndale, fly back on the 1st.

I think we are outlet malling it today.

1 Like

Sawgrass?

Edit: Just looked at a map and Sawgrass is a lot further south than I remembered! :flushed:

just watch as brexit sweeps away all of that pesky regulation and lets business ‘grow’

1 Like