Today I have mainly been V2.0

It won’t of course. Sweeping away regulation takes legislation and it would come a very long way down the priority list even if anyone thought it needed doing (there’s no sign that anyone does). What happens instead is that the inspectorate is bled of practically all funding. So while the regulations remain, any pre-accident enforcement depends only on an organisation’s desire not to have an accident and risk ending up before the magistrates. It was hard to tell from within a government organisation, where the H&S culture was strong, but I suspect that that’s been the situation for a decade or two now.

VB

Do you not think repeal of H&S legislation isn’t at least part of the appeal to this lot? And if the current legislation has an element of EU in it, doesn’t it automatically cease to apply when we leave, hence the need to rewrite loads of laws?

I thought that HSE was self funding, ie depend on money raised from fines?

1 Like

Ask them to let you see their risk assessment and method statement, if they have them. If they haven’t, or refuse, report them to the HSE.

1 Like

no

As maverick says, No. The easiest thing to do is to roll all the legislation over unchanged, and given that they have no time that’s what they’ll do. If they’ve got any nous they’ll then threaten to start unpicking it when (OK, if) the trade negotiations begin. But it would be daft to throw away any of your cards beforehand.

VB

The problem is our lads want to use their cards to play Snap against the EU’s crack team of poker players. Our lads are also too thick to recognise a pair.

3 Likes

Caernarfon today…

3 Likes

I’m not an accountant, but it doesn’t look like it. Page 90 here http://www.hse.gov.uk/aboutus/reports/ara-2018-19.pdf says they spent £217.5M (mostly on staff) but they only raised £91.5M (mostly from fees - the total is broken down later on and suggests only £4.5M came from their activities in court, and some of that might be costs recovered). So they’re £126M in the red. A figure not so different from that appears on page 93 as ‘Funding from DWP’. DWP are their controlling dept (not sure controlling is technically the correct word, since they’re an agency, but you get the idea).

VB

I don’t think most fines involve court, they often come onto building sites and issue fixed penalty tickets for infringements.

Le Treport

Not today but yesterday due to wi-fi roulette issues.

Home now. :slightly_frowning_face: Will console myself with the beer and wine that I stuffed in the remaining spaces in the car.

4 Likes

No they aren’t hoping to reduce h&s legislation
Or no the laws don’t cease when we leave

Who’d guess you used to work fir a firm that charged by the hour :roll_eyes:

They would not have the first clue about that !!! I doubt if they are even insured :grinning:

So why haven’t you reported them to HSE?

1 Like

Run out of energy ! Already cost me thousands in surveyors ( quite a few!) And legal costs etc and got me no where really . Just trying to keep sane now as it can seriously tip you over the edge.

1 Like

You can report to the HSE anonymously

The other day they had 5 days of bonfires on boiling hot days , I reported them to environmental health . 12 days later I get a letter saying have you talked to your neighbour !! Doh… The other neighbour was far more effective she just shouted and balled at them and called the fire brigade! That stopped them . I have very little faith in government bodies inc the hse.

Report them to the HSE (who should, and most probably will, take these matters seriously) or stop moaning about it.

Beyond that advice, I give up.

6 Likes

no the laws don’t cease when we leave, it’s all now in UK law

Continuing the workbench building:

14 Likes