Today I have mainly been V3.0

Indeed, I have a Uriah Heep LP I don’t even like worth circa £80 and Beautiful South Quench which I do like worth around £100.

Its hard work cataloguing especially having to look at the dead wax for tiny and faint markings but gratifying when completed. That reminds me I must give my password details to the other half and my brother. I don’t want it given away for £500 when I eventually pop my clogs.

1 Like

But that is the valuation. What would they actually sell at do you think?

That IS what they sell / have sold for Mick

1 Like

If that is much you have to play to slum it in mono, how much is a proper stereo version?

Less :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Mine too. Arrived the day his death was announced. It upset me massively that within hours of the record being delivered, loads of people had their copies on eBay for megabucks. Cunts.

4 Likes

So at the moment, I’m doing all the shopping, prescriptions etc for my elderly Dad and uncle. This means I’ve been ending up actually being out quite a bit, one way and another. So yesterday evening, for reasons of online ordering done by my siblings who live overseas, I ended up driving from where I live, near Launceston, to Exeter, into the city to Morrisons supermarket, then back down to Cornwall, to my Dad’s place, and back home again afterwards (I know, unnecessary complexity, but I didn’t arrange it) What stood out about this particular trip, was that it was the most deserted I’ve ever experienced the world, period. it’s quiet most days under the shut-down, but this was another level. Global pandemic/national shut-down, AND a bank holiday. It was eerie! But also, with the beautiful weather, it was rather lovely as well. Just empty roads, empty streets, windows down, music up…

It’s quite fascinating when, out of nowhere, you realise you are experiencing something completely unique and unprecedented.

14 Likes

It will foster some really interesting writing & art. Widespread bereavement but beauty too. As you say, unprecedented certainly in our* lifetimes.

*(Not sure about @stu He remembers the Crimean campaign and the Boer war.)

9 Likes

I’ve already started to create some music that I hope will in some way reflect the more thoughtful and tranquil aspect of this time. I imagine all over the world, people are doing similar things. It will be so interesting to see what emerges!

10 Likes

Can’t see the point in looking up the value of records unless you’re intending to sell them. I still have every record I’ve bought since the very first one purchased with my first weeks wages as an apprentice in 1971. (apart from one or two loaned out and not returned :angry:)
I’ve told the daughters that there might be some valuable records in my collection, so they can do the work after I shrug off this mortal coil.
In the meantime, I’ll just get on with listening to them. :smile:

3 Likes

I can’t see the point in buying records unless you’re intending to listen to them. #mentionnonames

3 Likes

Like you, I have never sold a record. I have every record I ever bought barring some that were nicked and the records that I used for DJ’ing when I was at University which I gave to the bloke who was a couple of years behind me who was taking over.

I did catalogue all my records using Discogs, not because I wanted to know what they are worth, but because I was feckin’ fed up of buying records, and particularly CDs, I already owned. Now, I can look at the app on my iPhone and not have to rely on my shite memory.

11 Likes

I really don’t like ‘record collecting’ type behaviour, slavishly chasing limited editions/ buying rare stuff in the hope it will go up in value etc, it’s just not for me but I see how others get something from it. I just buy records to play and enjoy.

If I don’t like them, if they don’t get played, or if I have drunkenly bought duplicates then they get sold.

2 Likes

I buy and sell my records as finances dictate.

It’s a bit of a shame, as sometimes I have had to sell records I wish I had been able to keep :frowning:

1 Like

This is a good post. I like this post. There are tragedies, and there are opportunities. There are always both, of course, but these are different. We have a unique opportunity (well, I hope it’s unique - stop eating bats, China, you sick fuck - we get it, you’re hardcore AF, enough already) to learn from the tragedies and to enjoy the opportunities. Be good not to miss 'em… :ok_hand:

1 Like

= Too lazy to bother

Missed the point of my post entirely. :roll_eyes:

If I was prone to accidentally buying the same record again, as Olan says he does, it might be worth doing it, but I don’t think I’ve ever done that.
Otherwise It’s just bragging rights by announcing the value of individual records you own on here, no?
…unless you’re planning on selling/advertising them.

1 Like

Bear in mind that a Discogs catalogue is no defence against a really good drunk eBaying session… :pleading_face:

Thank fuck I’ve had to lay off the booze.

:angry:

2 Likes

I suppose it depends if you want your collection valued in case of fire
(It would be too heavy to nick) Which is why I catalogued mine

2 Likes