Today I have mainly been V4.0 (Part 1)

Wild extrapolation, I accept, but maybe he’s thinking they could all be his one day :grin:.

6 Likes

He helped you out, but really it’s the loin that need addressing… just saying

Walk to the local “Arsenal Lands”.

The sight was used by the Canadian military for training from the 1800s up to the mid 50s.

Backstop of the former firing range.

Baffles scattered about the sight to deaden the noise and absorb any deflected rounds.

Baffle that has opened and spilled its internal sand.

In 1940 the Department of National Defence established Small Arms Ltd. with the Canadian government as its only stakeholder. A factory was built for the production of Lee Enfield rifles for the Canadian military and Sten sub machine guns for the Canadian, British, and Chinese militaries.

A Long Branch Lee Enfield from Small Arms Ltd. Long Branch is name of the neighborhood the factory was located in.

Gun Girls at work.

Arial view of the factory.

All that remains are the water tower (visible as a black spot slightly above middle frame in the arial view)

And the Small Arms Inspection Building (lower left in the arial view). From 1943 this building was used for the the testing of production Lee Enfields to select especially accurate rifles for sniper use.

Back section. Do those windows scream 1940’s factory or what?

Small Arms Ltd continued on a smaller scale producing items for the DND up to the early 70s. Canada Post used the sight as a sorting station after that until the early 90s when most of the buildings were demolished.

Nothing left of this. In the background is a not yet completed museum.

14 Likes

Could you elaborate? :thinking:

Just caught up with about two hundred posts on this thread.
Seems like 4 weddings, a funeral and several birthdays!

Congratulations, and happy belated birthday to all of you!

2 Likes

The J.A.D. McCurdy flight mentioned on the plaque was the first powered flight by a British Subject in the British Empire (1909). Alexander Graham Bell was involved in the project.

1 Like

I love that era’s rather elegant (literal) utilitarianism :heart_eyes:

1 Like

The front entrance of the Inspection Building used to have a (to me) quite spectacular “space age” awning that must have been added some time in the 50s or early 60s. It was removed around the time the building received listed status as “historically significant”, I’m guessing because it wasn’t original to the building.
The water tower was scheduled for demolition as a dangerous eyesore but it had a reprieve and eventually received listed status as well and is to be restored when the land is finally developed. There was a lot of soil removed from the sight in the 90s and again in the early 2000s. The DND buried all sorts of nasty shit on the sight, with no reliable records of what was buried where.

1 Like

18 Likes

Menu probably cost more than the Shrewsbury team.

11 Likes

Nice!

1 Like

90’s: prawn sandwiches at football seen as risible
Now: confit

3 Likes

In a happy place.

4 Likes

Round to friends for lunch where my spirit-brother George managed to set the oven gloves well and truly on fire.

He has learned well :+1:

14 Likes

Finally got out for an hour or so after the covids. Nice to have a bit of fresh air.

11 Likes

Repairing the six punctured inner tubes hanging up in the garage. I know how to live.

8 Likes

It was awesome :ok_hand:.

1 Like

Making 5.25kg worth of Hugh F-W’s Tupperware Chorizo recipe. Fantastic freezer stock item:

7 Likes

Certainly like the look of that!

Pretty sure I have a pork shoulder in the freezer, keen to try the recipe!

we love that recipe - make little meatball and bean stew… never thought about freezing it

1 Like