Today I have mainly been V4.0 (Part 1)

Here’s hoping it turns out well for all Adam.

This. We’ve had to be rather firm over the past few weeks. The entire NHS is obviously creaking and the spillover of the stress into oncology has been very evident. Best of luck with it all Adam.

Being proud of my sister, trailer of a film coming out this year or next. She is the oxfam whistle blower:

32 Likes

Fair play to your sister, and to all the others who spoke out. Brave and decent people all.
Chapeau

Yeah, wasn’t easy for her, lost her job, had to move, had a serious lasting effect in many ways.

But better that than letting children be prostituted out in Haiti and other children being put at risk in this country. Still mad that they didn’t want to act on it and it took such negative pressure to do what they are supposed to as a charity!

12 Likes

43 posts were split to a new topic: Horsing around (bankruptcy watch)

Well I’m heading home, mission accomplished. Father is feeling much better as his digestive system is now working: he can both eat and shit. Due to getting COVID he can’t get an appointment until next week anyway, but most importantly the urgency has gone as he’s getting much stronger.

My mother and sister both separately told me that they thought he wouldn’t make it, but in a couple of days, with the help of some nuclear laxatives, the cork has been removed. He’s now human colour rather than grey.

So I’m celebrating with a half hour wait at New Street Station.

16 Likes

Sounds like good news !

Don’t overdo it. I used to have hour-plus waits there, often late at night, and after a year or two of that you can find the joy goes out of the whole thing.

1 Like

It has changed a lot in the last few years, to the point where some parts actually have daylight.

Roof collapses ?

I don’t think I’ve been there since my uni days! Used to have to scoot across the city to get to Moor St. station to get the train to Stratford.

Great to hear that your Dad is improved. Speaking from expreience somebody needs a boot to the arse if his situation can be improved simply by strong laxatives. Might be an idea to get him on a maintenance dosage of Sodium Docusate which are gentle enough when taken individually but really get things shifted when necessary.

1 Like

I could see some sky from the Pret café. I have been in many worse stations, which isn’t really something I could say when I was travelling through it daily as a kid

Following my unexpected success with the ‘Best Villain’ thread maybe we can have a go at ‘Worst Railway Station’.

I’ll kick off with Warrington Bank Quay (2000-2010). Rat traps in the underpass. Unpleasant overpriced snacks in the grim buffet. Wind and rain whistling down the platforms and the backdrop (and smell) of the chemical plant which ran hard against its western boundary.

1 Like

Finding my box of spare valves. Took a while. Was just about to order new.
Valve issue turns out to have been a naughty 6AU6. Which is okay as they are the cheapest.
Swapped out a bit of wiring too. More to do when arsed. Has what I think are bits of silver wire here and there. In many cases 3 wires have been used instead on one, thicker, one.

Starting to listen to music again a bit more, which is nice. Must buy more lp’s. Think I have only bought 4 in the last couple of years.

Went a musical on Saturday night. Waitress it was called. We quite enjoyed it. Had some Turkish food beforehand.

1 Like

Spent the morning and early afternoon in Zoom meetings. Had oncology appointment at 5:00. A long and very tedious day that I’m glad to see the back of.

10 Likes

work H&S meeting, some mandatory training on diversity and equality. Meeting with the solicitor.

Waiting in vain to see if my new V5 might plop through the letterbox today. Why cant they have e-V5’s these days.

Getting the car MOT’d and realising that in the last 12 months I’ve done the grand sum of 1400 miles :flushed:

3 Likes

It was 975 miles at my last MOT.

I think ours had done 140 miles when it was MOTed in May last year. And the wife still wants to keep it because it’s occasionally handy, mostly for her family.

The upkeep (insurance, AA, road tax, MOT, service) has got to be north of a grand a year :man_facepalming: