Today I have mainly been V5.0

We had priority check in and fast track security so we were OK, but the check in for economy was pretty horrendous, security not so bad. We didn’t go through any passport control, they scanned the passports at check in and that was it. We then had a near 2 hour delay as they were waiting for the plane to be cleaned :rage:

My absolute least favourite job of all today - Pet Sexton.

One of the cats had been going downhill with kidney failure and sadly there was very little that could be done, especially as she was about 14 years old. Last night she took a major turn for the worse, and so we sat-up with her into the small hours as the poor mite slowly slipped away.

It’s always hard losing a pet, but for all that she was a messy little bird-and-vole-murderer, she was absolutely devoted to Sam like no other animal I’ve ever known, and poor Sam is in absolute bits - which upsets me more than anything else. The remaining cat is inconsolable, too - the pair were sisters who got-on so well and did everything together, with the departed one always the leader…

29 Likes

All the best to you both. Always tough, but you loved and provided for them, first class.

1 Like

So sorry to hear this. I know from very recent experience it isn’t easy to loose a well loved cat.

1 Like

Trying to book in somewhere for a couple of days mid-June.

Not that fussed where, south coast, south west, Cotswolds, Wales.

Everywhere I can think of is either fully booked or the only room left is the separate lodge / cottage / whatever with an outdoor sex pond, and ridiculously expensive.

I guess I’ve found a couple that have a room left, but they all seem to have gravitated to £240 a night for accommodation that I know to be quite, err, “vintage” and used to cost sub £100 a night.

It looks like everyone is avoiding going overseas this year.

1 Like

Much as I love you guys, I don’t think the wife would go a bundle on sharing with a bunch of blokes farting while they drink themselves into a coma.

Will this do? 11th and 12th.
https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/2946144?federated_search_id=9ec9f88b-09ba-4c0c-b333-1f8a98838ddf&source_impression_id=p3_1652104768_nuB1TRP%2FjwYfB5tj&check_in=2022-06-10&guests=2&adults=2&check_out=2022-06-11

Nooo ! Such loverly cats.

Sorry to hear that Paul. Commiserations mate. Please pass my best wishes to Sam.

1 Like

Ditch the wife is the right answer

Sorry to hear that Paul. Our pets are family, friends & loyal companions, no matter how bat-shit crazy.
It’s always difficult to deal with when they are no longer with us. but there is no doubt she will have had a good life in your care.
RIP Kitty! :heart_eyes_cat:

1 Like

Book her into a wanky spa or something

1 Like

Sorry to hear your sad news Paul. Best wishes & condolences to Sam & yourself.

1 Like

Know your pain only too well … have blubbed like a baby over loosing a much loved feline pal yet not shed a tear at relatives passing. Best wishes to Sam and yourself.

1 Like

Same thing innit

The Tavy spa. You doing baptisms?

Not without bevvy

30 posts were split to a new topic: Cuntscooters - should they be legal?

This is a first time in 2 years that I’ve repeated a walk but when the weather’s fine and the vegetation is at its lushest then this picturesque little route is as good as any.

We set out from Bere Alston station. It’s a peculiar spot on a Y shaped junction. The line comes up to here from Plymouth & the tail of the Y once went on to Tavistock then up country via Okehampton to Exeter & onto the main network. Beeching put paid to that line in the 60’s so now the trains reach Bere Alston via one arm of the Y, stop then set off for Calstock & Gunnislake via the other arm crossing the Tamar into Cornwall via the mighty Calstock viaduct.

Bere Alston station

The Y

Looking North up the valley across the hamlet of Tuckermarsh

Our walk takes us down into the valley through woodland filled with flowering wild garlic.

Down by the river we come to Tuckermarsh Quay, a row of maybe 5 one time Miners cottages, now very well kept with nice gardens down to the water.

Following the levee on the Devon side we come to Calstock across the water in Cornwall.

Calstock was once a busy quayside used to ship out ore & arsenic mined in the hill behind. Now it’s a quite funky village with some fairly esoteric inhabitants. Dawn French has just sold her Fowey house & moved here.

I always like to see Ferry farm on the Devon side. There used to be a ferry service across the river here.

Difficult to imagine that opposite bank being such a busy port at one time.

Another beautiful spot & former hotel. Not now sadly.

We followed the river as it turned south & had lunch opposite Cotehele quay,

The path then climbs up away from the river. Someone having a good burn on the other bank,

In the centre of the river there are 3 kayakers coming up. I’ve done that trip & must do it again this summer. From the middle of the river you might be in France or Germany.

This seems new to me. I haven’t noticed it before this year.

Fields planted with strips of what looks like clingfilm over the crop the early shoots of which are bursting through the film. I presume this is biodegradable because it’s a lot of plastic going into the land if not.

Another nice outing on the Bere peninsula. That said, the first walk I’ve tried post Covid & I was properly knackered by the end of it.

25 Likes

The frost covers are wound off a big drum and then if undamaged wound back-on when it’s time to grow-on; thin polyester fleece ones are used a lot round here to start valuable early crops. They will still shed microfibres. Can’t imagine biodegradeable would stand the weather long enough to be useful, but then again Swatch are now making watches out of castor oil…

Love these writeups BTW :ok_hand: