Tools you have bought/desire

If you haven’t already check out Paul Sellers on YouTube. His work is superb.

3 Likes

Any sort of work. I’ve used them when building sheds and making furniture.

You can register free and see lots of his videos

2 Likes

Good to know they’re robust enough for heavier jobs, I’ll aim to get a rip saw next.

The chap in the shop showed me one with a blade that was 150 microns thick. The cut was so fine i had to hold the peice up to the light to see the gap.

Get a Ryoba. Double edge saw for cross and rip sawing (second from right in my picture) I’ve easily cut 4" x 4" posts with mine.

2 Likes

Are they sharpenable? Or is it really hard steel?

Not sharpenable AFAIK Extremely hard steel.

You can get replacement blades and re-use the handles

How long have yours lasted?

I know, I know it’s a how long’s a bit of string question.

The two on the left are about 4 years old and they’ve had a lot of use. The cross cut is starting to get less efficient, but the rip saw is still perfect.

1 Like

Should have used your safe word. :grin:

3 Likes

This thread is probably the most suitable seeing as a workbench is a tool of sorts and I’ve paid for the components…made some progress today. Changed the design slightly which means I need to make a new pair of legs which will help support the vice and 3 shelves on the left. The top has come together well after some work with the planes and a sander, very pleased with it.

20180923_150014s

20180923_150054s

20180928_165350s

18 Likes

Nice work!

1 Like

Ta, 'kin worn out after all that. Chopped the wood with a hand saw.

Yep, did the same with mine. Built it in Hartlepool, then took it apart 2 years later and rebuilt it here. Not as posh as yours (2 x 3/4" ply top) but it’s solid enough to moor a moderately sized cruise ship to it :grin:

8 Likes

Nice, that’s a work bench for life. I need to incorporate a back board for tools as well.
I’m going to have 18mm ply top on mine. Will bring the surface height to 950mm which is spot on for me.
A 36mm ply top is more than enough for what I need, I only laminated mine becuase I wanted the challenge, could stand and elephant on it, way ott.

1 Like

Lovely work! Are you still Oxford based these days? :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks, the bench on the other side of my workshop is a much more modest affair, but it does the job, holding some of the bench tools.

1 Like

Super, rather envious of the space you have.
Have you got any dust extraction? Im going to get a vac and make a cyclone system.
Ive got plans for a chop saw table to the left of mine. Im space limited as there’s a car in the garage.

No dust extraction. I connect an Axminster vacuum cleaner to a lot of the power tools, but other than that I just wear P3 dust masks. I keep looking at dust extraction systems, but haven’t pressed the button yet.

1 Like

We move to another village 3 yrs ago, but yes same area.

Blimey has it been that long since I last popped over when you had the Lenco PTP, Vfet, Decware and Jordan speakers!