UK Audio Show 2021 - new venue

London Grammar FTW

Or Jazz plonk.

Oh Stu !poor thing …I managed to find a capacitor stand who had a pen ,calendar,notebook + a water bottle .I thought it would be rude not to accept these gifts

2 Likes

2 Likes

Can you go round today and mumble slippers at every exhibitor, hopefully that will subconsciously seep in for Bristol.

4 Likes

Pictures please.

They played ‘The Undertaker’ by Prince, which made me stick my head in, but the volume was silly, very ‘big’ but unbearable sound

Those are some uuuuuuuuugly speakers. I wonder what they sounded like. I note the obligatory DSOTM in reserve for when the plinky-plonk finishes.

2 Likes

Clear highlight for me was trying out the Dan Clark Stealth headphones. I could have happily sat there for hours. Finding out they were £4k was a bit of a shock though, and they trounced all the HifiMan, Audeze, Meze by such a big margin it was difficult to listen to anything else after them.

Over a Saturday lunchtime beer in the sun (what a glorious day it was, hence many golfists taking up parking spaces) Robin recommended the Audio Note room. Suitably refreshed we headed in its direction.

After some compulsory plinky plonky crap, on came Talk Talk, Happiness is Easy on CD, followed by Frank Zappa, Peaches en Regalia. Expressing my appreciation to the young AN chap it turned out he was a huge Zappa fan, so it wasnt too difficult to talk him into playing some Captain Beefheart: Big Eyed Beans From Venus. Great music (unless you’re Robin) but sadly lacking in bass thro the CD player. He did switch to vinyl and played some excellent female soul (sadly her name was covered by a lrg sticker on the album sleeve) which had lovely depth where you could tell there was actually a bass guitarist on the recording session.

Highlight for me was the small, square Vinyl Passion room where their system & Alan Clark’s speakers, bottom middle, sounded mighty fine whatever was played through them.
Hence a queue to get in all day.

5 Likes

Is that the only model available ATM? I’d really like him to start doing his big 3 ways again, although I suppose there might be IP issues with his ex business partners.

Another couple of systems I enjoyed. Had a nice time chatting to passionate speaker builders, especially the sustainability minded
Coppice. Sounded great with the Mingda amp and other bits and bobs by Malvern Audio

3 Likes

A few pictures from today
The TAD speakers were very good.
The Alchris speakers were good too.
The Accuphase system also impressed me.

2 Likes

3 Likes

Those big drainpipes (Bayz loudspeakers) with the Chord electronics sounded shockingly poor. But then I’ve never heard Chord sound good with any speakers.

Audio Note managed a couple of good-sounding rooms, but they were in the minority. The “young chap” BTW is Peter’s son, so Audio Note the Next Generation is alive and well.

3 Likes

What’s the point of the weights on the Accuphase? I can’t imagine that Accuphase makes boxes that resonate.

Foo, innit. What’s the point of any of it?

The weights are known as Foo, that is their point.

Tape faff shots lacking

1 Like

Without pens or Schumann it’s a washout.

1 Like