What I'm watching (Series 2)

Cheers Stu. Set to record that.

1 Like

Finally got around to giving this a go. Batshit-crazy, and I loved it. I guess that American cowboy-backwater vibe meets reality-bending sci-fi isn’t for everyone, but having spent quite a bit of time in the States, road-tripping around places that look like this does, I love this kind of atmosphere. Christ knows where they’ll take it in the second season… the writing is pretty twisty-turny, a la Dark, but a level more chaotic.

I was a bit disappointed to read an interview with Josh Brolin where he seems to say they have no idea where it’s going and they “make this shit up after the fact”. Somehow for me to invest myself in a bizarre plot, I do need to feel that the truth of the situation exists already somewhere fully formed, to be uncovered, rather than the entire writing team sailing into the wild blue yonder, hoping they can figure something out. I’ll keep watching it though, whatever.

6 Likes

This is great

2 Likes

Really enjoyed this. The last half hour or so drags a bit and does too much navel gazing, but the first 2 1/2 hours are a whirlwind of crazy. Pretty sure I spotted Mr MWS and Stronzetto in there somewhere.

1 Like

Going on tuesday & looking forward to it.

1 Like

Just about to watch RRR. Supposed to be good fun.

“A tale of outsized ambition and outrageous excess”

I’ll take this over Horsecock Fatbender LXIX any day.

1 Like

Saw Babylon this pm and loved it. Stronzetto and a few of his mates definitely in there. Besides the entertaining story & characters there’s an interesting sequence on the arrival of the talkies and the technical issues that would’ve been encountered in trying to record them along with the problems for ‘silent’ actors trying to adapt. Another love letter to a Hollywood golden age and none the worse for it.

1 Like

Yes, ‘that’ scene was fucking brilliant. :rofl:

Margot Robbie really steals the show doesn’t she!

Still should’ve cut the last half hour, though.

Shame there weren’t any WE speakers shown :grinning:. Didn’t they also initially have serious issues with synching the speakers with what was on screen as time alignment problems meant tap dancing thumps for example were arriving hopelessly late?

Yeah, I think so. I did wonder where the WE horns were. (Such a geek)

The other thing I didn’t understand was why they had full orchestras on set (outdoors) when doing the silent films. Unless they were cutting it to a disc or using a wire recorder. But it wasn’t as if it could then be played when the films were actually shown.

:man_shrugging:

Margot Robbie was great and I enjoyed Toby Maguire’s cameo as well.

1 Like

Incidentally, even less musically sophisticated filmmakers in the silent era were enough aware of the value of musical rhythm and mood in their craft that it was a common practice to have musicians actually play on the set during the shooting to help the actors shape a scene

Between Theater and Cinema: Silent Film Accompaniment in the 1920s - American Symphony Orchestra.

2 Likes

Snowy morning in Kyoto. Looks amazing.

Fauda Season 4

1 Like

It was a thing, music helps actors get the timing and feeling right, aparently.

Ask Dave, he probably did a few.

3 Likes

Alice in Borderland S2… So far so good (more of the same…)

1 Like

Cheeky.