x2 Astons
Gadget kill watch
Few nods to previous films
Excellent locations
Emotive
Corny one liner - 'Blew his mind"

Negatives
Failure to nob baddies missus
Baddie was more weird / sad than bad(ass)
Zero nobbing.
(A few other bits but would spoil)

1 Like

3x Astons

Apart from the French girl in Italy and Norway?

How are other people getting on with Foundation? Thereā€™s another episode out tomorrow andā€¦ I donā€™t know how motivated I am to keep going. I mean, itā€™s beautiful (honestly, forget best looking TV Series, some scenes are as good a set of effects as Iā€™ve seen on anything on the big screen) and, for fleeting moments, it does wondrous things but, it plods, it takes itself very seriously and it seems to be taking some considerable liberties with the original material. I probably will because Iā€™ve started so Iā€™ll finish but my view that the books are unfilmable hasnā€™t really changed.

Heā€™d already nobbed her, it doesnā€™t count. Bond cannot fly on one wing alone!

Started watching Dark this week. Five episodes in and itā€™s got me hooked.

3 Likes

The Green Knight

Strange but very good. Perhaps worth reading up about the original legend before diving in.

Some good background here which you could save for afterwards if need be.

2 Likes

Brilliant!

I havenā€™t watched the third yet, as Claire saw some of 2 and decided she liked it enough that we could watch it together. So 2024 or so, unless I sneakily watch it anyway (I will).

Anyway, over serious and pompous seems kinda appropriate. And you can complain about taking liberties with the source material as much as you like, but a TV series with no characterisation whatsoever is never going to fly, so they need to make loads of stuff up. I have no problem with that at all tbh.

I loved the books but havenā€™t read them in 35 years. The Cleon clone thing in the series is fantastic, was that in the original? The collapse of the space elevator was disappointing in terms of SFX, but the overall look is, as you say, great.

So Iā€™ll watch it for sure, and frankly Iā€™m delighted itā€™s being made at all. It was never going to be perfect, and Iā€™ll settle for decent.

1 Like

can everyone mask any spoilers for Foundation as Iā€™m waiting for all the episodes to drop before watching.

Agree on the first, shit bond baddie.

I liked the reduction in casual misogyny, loved the utter badass female agent cameo early on, and was a bit bothered by the fact that the French wife was half his age. Evidently I had forgotten her from the last one.

Why does 53 year old Craig have to have a 25 year old wife? Really?

1 Like

Craig is married to Rachel Weiss, the character he plays in the film is in his late 30ā€™s and whatā€™s to say the actress isnā€™t portraying a 30 year old character?

Bond gets belly to belly, with helpers, informers and for fun! Inshalla.

Because Bond. I doubt youā€™d want a character like Bond as a friend or even a colleague (Poor team player) Quite possibly wouldnā€™t want him near your wife. Factually such a character is positively bad for your health (Magnet for bombs, poisoning, being shot at, crashed into, having a variety of stuff thrown at him on the regular) But surely he doesnā€™t need to be reduced to vegan shoes and driving at the speed limit. The point of Bond is he does all the shit we canā€™t.

1 Like

Well it could be a one legged bloke actor heā€™s married to, playing a beautiful young woman, but itā€™s not. Hollywood makes these choices, and they all seem to go one way.

1 Like

or he could be married to a straw man.

1 Like
2 Likes

I donā€™t think so, I think Cleon tells Seldon thatā€™s what he plans to do though.

Yeah I thought it was an improvement over the last god knows how many Bond films.
Could have gone a lot further with the character updating though.

PS I think the one legged actor analogy was maybe taken literally. :wink:

1 Like

Close Encounters

Legend of a film and still has a certain magic to it.

2 Likes

Iā€™m about to watch Arrival with Claire; she hasnā€™t seen it yet. Probably one of my top 10 films ever I think.

2 Likes