World War 3

A good question. In fact, the Kaliningrad question.

2 Likes

7 Likes

Looks like Nigel has a wallet full of roubles to keep him warm this winter. He was previously sure that Putin would never, ever invade.

How to come to the wrong conclusion, what a twat.

Half right - it gave Putin excuses that play well at home, however irrational.

1 Like

Obvious shill is obvious.

Love to see this twat strung up for treason

1 Like

Any update on the ā€˜severe sanctionsā€™ that will supposedly be rolled out? They seem to be taking time in announcing them. This can hardly have been a surprise.

In the short term this is going to be terrible for Ukraine. In the slightly longer term, this is going to utterly cripple Russiaā€™s economy & that will likely be the end of Putin. Itā€™s been rumoured for a while that he isnā€™t well. I wonder if heā€™s just chosen to go down in a blaze of glory.

3 Likes

From what Iā€™m hearing, I do believe his actions are extremely unpopular in Russia - but people not really able to do much about it.

I wonder how long the Russian economy can hold out. They have a track record of getting by and living with sanctions.
I read somewhere that since 2014 (annexation of Crimea) they have built up the 4th largest foreign currency reserve of any country (equivalent to around half a trillion USD).

That would be reasonably easy to do if you are one of the largest exporters of oil and natural gas (as both are traded in USD) and your country is heavily sanctioned. I do take the point that it suggests sanctions are going to need to be extremely severe. I wonder how the Chinese will respond if they are asked to provide economic support by the Russians.

Has China commented anywhere (ie at the UN?) about this yet?

Early days yet.

They were discussing it at the UN yesterday but I only caught a bit of it. China as a permanent member would normally have had a say.

As you were guys, Putin recalling troops as we speak

3 Likes

Putin wonā€™t give a shit will he? No one actually affected by the sanctions will get within a mile of him. And he doesnā€™t care if many of his subjects starve, itā€™s the Russian way after all.

thereā€™s very little the west can do unless Europe are willing to freeze without Russian oil and gas, but even then I wouldnā€™t bet on him pulling out of Ukraine any time soon.

Unless his military revolt.

1 Like

I couldnā€™t find anything when I had a quick look.

Probably been asked not to raise anything in payment for not having their games disrupted.

Rather than invest the national hydrocarbon wealth in the economy and infrastructure theyā€™ve shoved in the bank for a rainy day.
Playing the long game over the last 8 yrs.

Too busy preparing to ā€˜visitā€™ Taiwan more like. As good a time as any.

3 Likes