Yet another thread for the purposes of awarding a cockpunch

The large American bank who just rejected me for a job application can have one.

Rejection is fine, and in my mail to the recruitment guy I even said I didn’t think my experience matched what they were after, however I uploaded my CV to their system on the 6th OF BLOODY JUNE.

Assclowns.

Thank goodness for the community banking sector. This one is just for EH postcodes, but there are

others in other regions. Opened my account to deal with retirement already. :ok_hand:

https://www.castlecommunitybank.co.uk

I had an interview in Feb or March for a Solicitors position with JCP, despite being promised feedback on how the interview went I have heard nothing, not even whether I got it or not. I might or might not be due to start their on Monday (I have found a better job in the meantime).

This seems to be the new normal.

Probably happened to me 10 times since mid-March. A couple of companies distinguished themselves by providing prompt feedback, the majority just disappeared.

It’s particularly irksome when they ask for a large investment of time up-front e.g. exhaustive technical tasks, multiple interviews. One bunch of clam-jousters interviewed me 5 times then went silent.

Cockpunch of the highest order to the email hackers who somehow got into a friend’s bank accounts and emptied nearly £300k that was set up for buying a house.

I don’t understand how hacking someone’s email would also get you access to their bank accounts, but surely they won’t be liable for that?

1 Like

WTF - how is that even possible?

I’m just thankful that I don’t have £300k for someone to steal!

I Dont have details of how but that’s what they told me.

Guessing it was phishing rather than hacking per se.

Had the bank phone me the other day due to card fraud. “Just need to do security questions”… err, no way, I’ll call you, bye.

2 Likes

There is a scam I’ve heard of that involves thieves imitating the solicitors email and telling the buyer that their bank details have changed and that the money is to be transferred into a new account.

3 Likes

I don’t understand why the government doesn’t make the banks liable for this kind of fraud. That is the only way that the bank would then introduce additional checks (name lookups, traceability etc) in the case of bank transfers.

The choice to make it sort code and account number is one made by the banks. They have the power to change it.

Two factor authentication goes a long way to protect against this kind of thing. Some banks do do it, but not all, unfortunately.

1 Like

Thats a shit thing to happen.

But my method for dealing with these clowns is to keep them on the phone as long as possible giving them increasingly more ridiculous answers. My record is 23 minutes for one of the ‘you’ve had an accident in the last 6 months’. I concocted a bad motor accident detailing injuries and hospital procedures etc. I especially enjoy the ones from Microsoft telling me I have a virus. I told one guy I’d better go to the Dr.

Yes I know, I have far too much time on my hands.

3 Likes

It’s a real help, but you still need protection from error as well as fraud. And much phishing works without them having access to your bank - they convince people that they are the legitimate recipient, and then people log in and make the payment.

I generally don’t do bank transfers for large amounts without doing a test transfer first - put in £10, verify with recipient, then transfer the rest. My bank also won’t allow me to transfer more than £1k to a new recipient.

Errors yes, for sure. And I agree traceability would help. The banking system is shit in that respect.

1 Like

Presumably they transferred it to another bank account ? Surely it’s not beyond the wit of man to set up a scheme whereby very large transfers (I don’t know, more than £20k maybe, or some sum agreed with the account holder) can only be made to accounts which allow clawback in the event of fraud ? For goodness sake, Paypal can prevent you from making a cash withdrawal for a few days after you’ve been paid, just so they can be sure that you’ve delivered the goods you promised.

VB

My bank dropped the daily transfer limit from £10k to £1k. But when I bought the Mrs’ car on the same account, the £8k debit went through instantly at the dealer’s terminal with just the pin. How does that work :thinking:

The problem is that you have to be able to protect both sides.

But I like the idea of different kinds of accounts - a solicitor’s client account could be whitelisted as one that can receive very large amounts, say.

While this might mean that buying a car from a used car dealer for £20k might have an extra level of red tape (and hence cost), I’m not sure I actually see much downside with that.

I had the same experience with Ovo Energy.