Yet another thread for the purposes of awarding a cockpunch

Yes, but in the case of house purchase, which this was, there’s enough legal process involved that the seller should be able straightforwardly to recover their title to the property if the buyer turned out to have clawed their payment back dishonestly.

Where I see a real problem is with a property chain. The need for a sequence of transactions to go through almost simultaneously makes delayed payment problematic. And one shyster at the top of a chain could cause a good deal of grief for a stack of innocents, all of whom have started tearing the wallpaper off in their new gaffs.

VB

I applied for a job at U of Essex and was interviewed in the Xmas/New Year break 1988/9. Technically speaking I still haven’t heard whether I got the job or not.

In fact I did get to know the guy who appeared to be filling the post for the next 13 years, so I wasn’t really in any doubt. But a letter would have been nice. I shouldn’t be too hard on them though. They did pay my return travel costs for the interview. From Houston TX.

VB

1 Like

Surely all on line banking required a (non secure) user name, a secure password and then an additional secure password that you would have to enter 3 or 4 characters from in a randomly chosen selection.

if they hacked a bank account they must surely have dropped some software onto his PC to read these details and done this enough times to have worked out the second password from sufficient numbers of randomly entered characters. Even then, my bank’s software enters the first password without displaying the characters.

When I ran my construction contracting firm, I would always reply to job enquiries in the same format they were received, usually by mail or email. I also always wrote to interviewees to let them know if they were successful or not.

Just common courtesy. :+1:

4 Likes

Fraud like this is usually done by impersonating the recipient and giving the wrong details to send money to - so say you’re their solicitor, and give your own bank details. The transfer is legitimately.

'kin 'ell, I would be ringing the recipients if i was sending £300k, before i sent it.

1 Like

For sums like that or house purchases I can’t see why there is no service that acts like escrow and the money is only transferred to an account detailed by the buyer using an authenticated ID method and any changes have to jump through many hoops.

2 Likes

When we moved a few weeks ago, we paid our solicitor the money for the house we were buying. We sent him a cheque. It was then paid by them once everything was completed. Who the fuck buys a house with an online bank transfer.

Completely in the dark here but do you need a solicitor if you use one of those online services like purple bricks etc?

I assume anyone with an ounce of sense would use a solicitor but not sure if it’s a legal requirement?

If any part of the purchase is being funded by mortgage provider then as a minimum you need a conveyancer as they act for the lender as well.
If you pay cash probably not. I remember a mate selling a house in Bradford and a taxi driver came to view it, said yes and came back an hour later with the cash stuffed into a carrier bag.

1 Like

Just done some googling and it seems to be illegal to charge for conveyancing if you aren’t a solicitor but someone or yourself can do it if there are no fees charged for the service.

You have personally entered the PIN. You were present to authorise the transaction.

Having said that I bought a car of similar value by bank transfer on my phone at a private sellers house.

yes that scam has been widely warned about , losing 300 k to scammers is utterly appalling

i used a conveyancing firm for several years , they were not solicitors . they handled all the legal side of property purchase .

http://www.fridaysmove.com/who-instruct-conveyancing-solicitor-or-licensed-conveyancer/257

Not strictly speaking true, but usually the case I think. If the loan is mortgaged against the property being bought then I imagine it would be the case. But we had a flexible mortgage secured on our house and once we’d finished paying it off we used the facility it provided it to buy the (much cheaper) house next door. I called the lender up and asked them how involved they wanted to be. They said “Not at all. As long as your spend won’t be getting close to the valuation of the house that the account is mortgaged against, and as long as you can stick to the repayment plan, you can take out what you like and spend it on what you like.”. So we did. As it happened we did use a lawyer. But they worked only for us.

VB

Yes, that’s a very different scenario, the risk for the lender remains on the original house. That’s the property they would have laid claim to had you defaulted on the repayment.

err, me.

Admittedly it was significantly less than £300k and the payment was made to my own solicitor (based in Lerwick) but I did transfer the cash online.

My bank allows a £25k online transfer each day plus £10k over the phone. That’s how I did my house deposit. For the final amount for the house we had to visit the bank with I’d n stuff. Given my friends issues I will be very careful if I ever move again.

Parents, kids and schools.

Had 4 weeks of nice quiet roads and it was chaos this morning, walk your fucking kids to school you cunts.

4 Likes

Maybe try to get more primary schools built? I think that’s where the issue is - our schools are 2 miles (primary) and 1.5 miles (secondary) away; 2 miles is mostly too far for the youngest. Eldest is walking though; a local parent mentioned the bus and I just laughed!