Yet another thread for the purposes of awarding a cockpunch

huge CP to the robots that keep ringing me up about the “car accident I had although I was innocent”…

I did manage to confuse the one today by talking gibberish down the phone to the point she appeared to get desperate and said “have you had any accident, trips or falls”. I was tempted to tell her about the trip I had when I was a student, but I suspect that wasn’t the sort of trip she meant.

Virgin Media. I know that the service can fail, sure, but at least have the service status page working.

Given almost nobody has our landline number, as a matter of routine now I simply don’t make a noise when answering the phone, which then causes any robo-dialer systems to drop the call because they think it’s not working.

1 Like

Being happily retired on occasion I have little to do. I have had these people on the phone for ages spinning long tales about injuries, hospital time spent, damage to the other passengers and so on.

Man’s gotta have a hobby…

4 Likes

Same here

When it’s good it’s very, very good. But when it fails nothing that you can do helps.

As far as I can tell every single failure I’ve had (maybe ten or so over five years ?) goes the same way. When you check their status page, over a different link of course, there’s rarely any indication of a problem in your area. If you call them to report the fault you eventually get through to someone in a call centre who says they’re not aware of an issue. If you press them they may say they’ll test the link (I guess they ping your modem ?). When this fails they have a stock phrase:

“Oh, it may be a local hardware problem. We’ll have to get an engineer out to check your wiring etc. When would be a convenient time for us to turn up ?”

Between their engineers’ timetables and the customer’s availability this is never sooner than a day or two away. So they make the booking and that stops you hassling them any more. Result (as far as they’re concerned). The engineer never comes. Because he never has to. Because it never is a local hardware failure. It is always, and I do mean always, some software/network fuck-up at their end. It can be fixed in a second or two by them switching something off and switching it on again but if they admitted that then you would yell at them to do it NOW. So they don’t admit it. They have hundreds of these to deal with and you’re in a queue. So it may be minutes or it may be hours or it may be tomorrow before they spend a second restoring your service. You’ll just try again and find it’s miraculously working. Mark my words.

VB

1 Like

In the time it took you to type that they fixed it

6 Likes

never had that - they usually cant ping the hardware, make an assumption that the wiring is ok and send someone specifically to look at the hardware.

never had that, they have always turned up at the appointed time, and on occasion the appointments are within a day, and on one occasion on the same day.

Sounds like you’re a lot less lucky with your hardware than me. Mine’s never failed. I’ve only had one visit from them since the original installation I think, and that was for a significant upgrade when we signed up for their telly package. In that case they did turn up spot on time. But all of my service failures have ended up like Adam’s - the service has just come back on when they’ve sorted out whatever the problem was at their end. That’s the reason that the engineer has never come - the ‘need’ for him to has evaporated before the appointment time.

VB

1 Like

what actually failed was the power supplies - about three of them over a period of 15 years. All my other experiences were of me complaining of slowness, and them just replacing the box with the most recent one - this has happened maybe 2 or 3 times over 15 years. Recently nothing has failed or slowed down. I am impressed with their service and equipment. They could give me a speed hike on outbound traffic - or allow me some scope the balance the inbound and outbound.

This exact scenario played out at ours last night. it’s now so common (not the faults, the method of resolution when there is a fault) they’ve even industrialised the notifications:

1 Like

I had a “we’re fixing it, be sorted by 6.25pm” message, then it came back anyway.

In ten years with them here the number of outages has been low, maybe five, but every single one has been fixed by an ‘engineer’ twiddling some cables about (metaphorically or otherwise) off site.

i would love to as well , but my persecutor is a robot voice from talk talk or bt advising me my router will be disconnected due to illegal activity , even went to visit my mum i hour after this phone call and she had the same call !

Lol, how about fuck off.

6 Likes

I lack sympathy on this. I cannot see how repatriating her would be a good message. Additionally I would resent any tax payers money going to her ongoing protection. That said I fully expect some human rights organisation will make a case on her behalf.

1 Like

I think it’s possible to make a general ethical argument for repatriation / redemption etc. whilst also acknowledging that ideals aside, there are many better avenues that money can spent on.

Obviously any government that made that decision would also then more than likely piss the funds up the wall on something even less warranted, but that’s a separate argument.

I suppose it depends whether you think her having been born British counts for anything and whether her British family’s distress might be lessened if there was a chance of her being rehabilitated back here. If not then I’m afraid she’s in a camp with 39,000 other people among whom, I’m sure, are plenty of other mothers with children at risk who might have more to offer this country. There’s also the question of deterring others from making the same mistake.

VB

Also the danger of importing terrorism back here. This woman says she did nothing wrong by joining IS in Syria, she just wants to come back here to protect her unborn baby. Her two previous children that were born in Syria (she’s only 19 ffs!) were killed apparently. If she still believes in IS, she should stay over there.

She needs to accept the consequences of her actions.I would be very surprised if she is allowed to return.

1 Like

Given she was a minor when she left for Syria, I don’t think it’s appropriate for the government to do anything other than enable the safe return to the UK of this woman and her unborn child. She will be interviewed by police on her return and subject to British justice. Where’s the problem?

1 Like