Yet another thread for the purposes of awarding a cockpunch

Oooh, in Bristol? Which ones have fucked you off then?

WTF were you doing looking at Boney M?

4 Likes

By the rivers of Babylon
Where he sat down
And there he wept when he remembered Zion

3 Likes

Wallace said that as a British citizen, Begum had a right to return home, but anyone who joined Isis should expect to be investigated, interviewed and “at the very least prosecuted” on their return.

There are currently no British diplomats in Syria because of security risks. If Begum wanted to return to the UK, she would have “to make her way to Turkey or Iraq to consular services there”, he added.

Questioned on whether the fact that Begum was 15 when she ran away might generate sympathy from the Home Office, Wallace said: “People know what they’re getting into.

So no diplomatic or consular assistance. If she wants to come home she’ll have to find her own way, at 9 months pregnant, to a country with a British embassy. Clearly her plight does not resonate with the government.

Risking the life of a UK Government employee to collect a possibly reformed terrorist is not sensible. It behoves the newspaper that is profiting from her story to pay for a Mercenary to guide her to a UK Consulate - after all they already know where she is.

Good word :+1:

So the government should abdicate its responsibilities to the whim of a newspaper editor?

I guess every case is judged on its merits. I fear Emiliano Sala’s pilot is unlikely to be brought home at the taxpayer’s expense now.

VB

Not endangering the lives of UK Government employees does not equate to abdication of responsibilities. The main responsibility will be to keep the rest of us safe from her radicalisatiion if she does return. The child could be a Dutch or UK or Syrian or possibly even a Turkish national.

She’s in a refugee camp where there are no doubt plenty of westerners working and volunteering. I’m thinking it’s probably not too risky to send a government official.

She’s a British teenager, 9 months pregnant, not convicted or suspected of any particular crime that finds herself in a situation where she requires consular help. I’m not quite clear on what part of innocent until proven guilty should be suspended in her case or why she should not deserve immediate consular aid given how far along she is.

2 Likes

Shamima Begum was groomed. She deserves the chance of rehabilitation

In Assad’s Syria ? Are you certain ? We were involved there last year but it was more along the lines of shooting missiles in from a distance I think.

VB

No but I would expect some level of UN, UNHCR, Red Cross, MSF etc representation at a refugee camp.

NGOs are likely to want to be involved (probably Red Crescent rather than Red Cross), but which ones will get in will be entirely at the discretion of the Syrian govt and military. For all sorts of good reasons while the funding may be external/foreign the actual practical relief will be provided by ‘partner organisations’ which means internal/national staff. The exception might be MSF doctors. But they will be few in number and not inclined to meddle in sensitive repatriation cases.

VB

Some thoughts-

If she’s still an ISIS supporter she can’t come back. It’s a banned organisation.

Ask her to renounce ISIS and on her return to work to stamp out extremism. If she says no then don’t come back.

Or offer to take the child and let someone sensible adopt it. Two children have already died in her custody.

2 Likes

Of course, theres always the possibilty of getting her on board as a double agent.

Or get a muslim Country to take her.

FFS, the girl is a British citizen, what right do the Government have to stop her returning. She is our responsibility no matter where she’s been or who she’s affiliated with.

2 Likes

I believe they have the power to cancel passports these days.

There’s always treason too.

I thought that was a matter for naturalised citizens who had their British citizenship stripped before they were extradited. I’m not sure that is relevant for somebody born here.

1 Like

They have no right to stop her returning.

If she does return, when the time comes I am sure there will be people waiting to have a chat.

1 Like