Yet another thread for the purposes of awarding a cockpunch

tell them you have a 4 month contract, they won’t check.

I don’t know where you punch the weather, but wherever it is it needs one. My neighbours over the road started a party (BBQ, dreadful tuneless bass-thumping music) in their back yard late this morning. By now the adults are so pissed that they’re yelling to be heard over one another. The (primary school) kids have been yelling all day, but they’re kids so that’s sort of OK. 10 miles north of here it’s raining quite hard and will do for quite a while to come

It’s also showing promise for later to the south of us. But the best we can hope for is drizzle, which won’t do, I fear :frowning_face:. Ho hum.

VB

Garden hose aimed upwards?

Flammenwerfer.

It’s the only sensible answer really.

2 Likes

Or just go to the pub…

2 Likes

Nice idea, but they are over the road :smile:. Actually the rain materialised and things went quiet, so maybe the heavens got the message. Otherwise I’d have had to have threatened retaliatory country and western. Or even easy listening (I have a double CD of Jim Reeves, and I’m not afraid to use it).

VB

4 Likes

Virgin media "Super"Hub, for being a pile of unmitigated sewage when it comes to networking stuff (streaming standard video from an etherneted NAS over wifi is falling over regularly). Think the latest firmware updates have been sponsored by BT Mesh…

You always need to use them in modem mode and get your own decent router, I find. I also have a decent WiFi access point.

100% this

never, ever use a modem / router supplied by any ISP - always supplied by the cheapest bidder and built somewhere very cheap, also usually running poorly developed SW

any ISP that locks DNS settings doesn’t get a look in here, if I can’t set my own (OpenDNS) then go away

top tip: any ISP that doesn’t advertise and 99.9% of the public have never heard of will be very good

:sunglasses:

Any specific reccos?

Well for ADSL I used Thompson Speedtouch (older models) and did some ‘changes’ using this https://kitz.co.uk/routers/DMTv8.htm, the DSLAM in the exchange had the same manufacturer’s chip set so talked to each other well :slightly_smiling_face:
My OpenReach engineer mate used his tester on my line, gave 3M which he said was great for where I live, his face when I connected my Speedtouch and it went to just under 6M :rofl:

Am now on fibre (FTTC) and would recommend Billion gear - I bought mine ahead of fibre rollout as it does ADSL and VDSL, goes months without a reboot
Mine has 4 separate wireless networks with their own availability schedule, useful with 3 teenagers !!
as well as OpenDNS option. Also enabled a specific ban if somebody annoyed dad or worse mum :rage:

All a bit academic now as the last one about to leave home for Uni I hope !

BIG tip, disable the ‘ac’ wireless in any home hub, 11n is much more suited to a domestic environment.

2 Likes

ebf5dab88b31b74c763f256f79f6c49a

5 Likes

Thanks for that. I’ve recently gone to Plusnet and am using their supplied modem/wireless router. Wired connection is fine, we’re on ‘fibre to the green box in the street’ and copper to the house. I get about 30 upload which is fine for the two of us. The wireless is fine if you’re close to it. Through a wall or a closed doors and it’s not that good. Can I just plug in a wireless router and configure it as the main wireless point? My two laptops are wired so we’re only using 2 phones and a tablet.

what about down? which is the important bit

Fuck it. I meant download :roll_eyes:

1 Like

:wink:

1 Like

What is the supplied kit?

A simple 4 port modem router with wireless.

Made by Sagemcom.

I come out of it to a 1gig hub for my two laptops and Linux server and they all work fine.

my guess would be that the Sagemcom box doesn’t have external aerials ?
something looking like this?: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1035219/Sagemcom-F-St-5260.html

mine is like this, notice some serious aerials! https://www.amazon.co.uk/Billion-7800DXL-Wireless-Gigabit-Broadband/dp/B00BJ2PCAG/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_147_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=YC2BQ4MPYS5PJ8Z5HGDY

rather than mess with what’s working for you why not get an extender (we use one like this for the Kegworth show) : https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/range-extender/re200/

TP-Link gear is quite cheap but very reliable kit

1 Like

Cheers again.

So with the Billion 7800DXL I can connect it to my existing modem via ethernet cable and tell it to do the wireless?