Phobic

Apparently this happened a lot during a cholera epidemic, and inspired Bram Stoker

Mostly pricing :smile:

2 Likes

Enclosed spaces.
Snakes, more specifically snakes sneaking up on me. I can touch and handle them, but for some reason if Iā€™m outdoors and I notice a snake coming at me in my peripheral vision it freaks me right out. If Iā€™m wading in a stream/river when fishing and I spot a snake in the water its best JC impersonation time as Iā€™m literally walking on water to get the fuck outta there :smiley:

That and thread necrophilia.

1 Like

We donā€™t have much if a snake problem here, they are small and mostly non poisonous. I have seen an adder when out fishing once or twice but they are more scared of us than anything. Are there nasty ones in Canada? Sounds like a fairly rational phobia if soā€¦

There is one venomous snake in the province of Ontario (where Iā€™m located), the Eastern Massasauga rattlesnake, and its range is so limited that one would literally have to make an effort to encounter it. Most of the snakes I encounter are small and even the large and threatening looking ones (Northern Water snakes grow to a fat 4 to 5 foot length) are completely harmless. Like I said, its just something about the buggers getting the drop on me that does it.

1 Like

Where in Ontario are you? I was born in Toronto and lived there till I was 5. We then moved out to Mississauga and lived there till I was 11 when we moved to the UK. I got to the UK in January 1971.

1 Like

Mississauga.

1 Like

Thatā€™s properly bizarre! WTF?! Iā€™d love to see exactly how that fear manifests.

I donā€™t know if itā€™s serious enough to be called a phobia, but I am EXTREMELY un-fond of scorpions.

A phobia is an irrational fear. Scorpions are an entirely sensible thing to be rationally afraid of!

2 Likes

Good point!

Yeah buuuuuuutā€¦we live in a country with no scorpionsā€¦:thinking:

1 Like

What if youā€™re on holiday by mistake?

2 Likes

Que?

1 Like
1 Like

Ah, I geddit now :smiley:

Arenā€™t there some living in a wall at Ongar station?

1 Like

Dunno, but if theyā€™re waiting for a tube, they will have a fucking long wait as Ongar has been closed for years :smiley:

We stayed overnight at an open range Zoo in Straya. They had an impressive range of stuff that would kill you. I was horrified to learn that scorpions are fluorescent. Put them under a UV lamp and they are easy to find, but are far more frightening.

Cunts!

This was also scary:

3 Likes

and of course, these much more dangerous examples have also been seen in the UK

2 Likes