Tools you have bought/desire

Made good some screwdriver deficits:

And, psychologically, some other deficits:

Sigh…

2 Likes

I need to fit ten doors and half a dozen drawer fronts to my stepdaughters kitchen. Unfortunately all the old doors have long been skipped so I can’t get a truly accurate measure on the hole centres required. I’m buying them without pre drilled hinge holes, intending to buy one of these and will measure each as I go. Anyone used one of these before and is it any good? Or any other recommendations that aren’t too spendy?

1 Like

If only there was an expert on hinges amongst the membership :grinning:

@kernow ???

In all seriousness, I’m not sure who you are referring to so hopefully they will chip in with some advice. Don’t want her to spend a grand on doors then make a mess of it.

Bit late for them now, but will no doubt be here in the morning,
Although of course it may well not be the right type of hinge :grinning:

1 Like

I fear the original battle may predate the fat finger apocalypse but here’s a folk memory reference to it from the dark ages. Not your kind of hinges, although @J_B might know about them too.

2 Likes

I just got one of them.
Got it out by turning the box upside down with the flaps out of the way.
Satisfactory so far except the smallest diameter sleeve delaminated first tryout.
Can be used pretty accurately if you adjust the 90 degrees to be spot on.
Very nice piece of kit, I got the 30cm sander too. Which is accurate, fast and quiet too.
Both can be hooked up to dust extraction, but annoyingly use different hose diameters.

Im looking at that 300mm sander as well.
Cant decide which will be of more use to me between these 2, both similar money.

PrimeTools seem to have some good deals. e.g:

3 Likes

That is a seriously good deal.

Horses for courses, but I’ve had both and only kept the 12 inch disc sander, a Record one in my case.

Do you ever bother to change the disc for another grit? Is it much of a faf?
I’d imgain the adhesive is a pita to deal with when removing

I bought this SnapOn roll cab thirty odd years ago. It cost me an arm and a leg back then but it has served me well.

This one I bought four years ago for my tools at work. It was a tenth of the price of the Snap On roll cab. I don’t know what that would be in real terms given the time span but a serious difference I’d imagine. Maybe not quite as well made as the SnapOn cab but I’m more than happy with it :smile:

4 Likes

Nice. Snap-On are crazy priced these days, I make do with the Halfords Professional toolboxes. For tools I tend to go with Japanese (Koken or Nepros) and the odd bit of snap on.

There wasn’t as much choice thirty odd years ago and SnapOn knew how to market their products. They were objects of desire that most mechanics aspired to. Today there’s a huge choice of relatively cheap quality tools and equipment and if I was going to do it all again (which I’m definitely not) I wouldn’t let my heart rule my head.

1 Like

Only once, they last an age. I used a heat gun and a scraper, not too bad, 15 mins and done. I use it to sand back to a line, particularly curves. The Festool Kpax saw cuts mitres etc far more accurately than you could sand back with either a belt or disc sander.

1 Like

Oh if you do go for the disc sander never ever remove the guard on the right. They will flip a peice of wood over in a split second and proceed to sand away any fingers trapped between the work piece and the disc, rapidly. Much ouch and claret.

Noted. Bad luck :grimacing:

Acquired, thanks for the heads up.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/Machine-Neplos-9-5sq-Ratchet-NBR390A/dp/B0B6DJFBNZ/

Shiny Nepros thing on black friday deal